Thursday, October 7, 2010

So I got travel vaccinated!!

Hi there!

So, it came to my attention that I possibly need to get travelers vaccinations for traveling to Thailand! My cousin brought my awareness to this two weeks ago (I am leaving for Thailand tomorrow October 9, 2010).

The idea of getting shots ran through my mind like crazy!

"Should I get shots?? Chemicals??"
"Nah, I don't need them! I'll be fine!!"
"What if I get sick with something?"
"I got good common sense...I'm not going to get myself sick!"

So with less than two weeks left to departure time, I knew I had to research this and act quick!

I researched that it is not required to get immunization shots for entering Thailand, but there were some recommendations on what immunizations should be taken into consideration especially when traveling through certain areas of Thailand. Also if you're traveling through a foreign country for a long period, it is also recommended to get immunization shots as well.

I got a few of my friends opinions before seeing a travel vaccination nurse. And after all the tossing back and forth of wondering what I should do, I went ahead and decided to get some shots.

Why? Because it's better to be safe than sorry! That's all I gotta say. In addition, a middle/high school classmate of mine, recently passed away due to catching some sort of viral disease while traveling through Ecuador this past spring. She didn't even make it back to America and the doctors in Ecuador could not save her. Now, I don't want to base my decision of getting shots because I had raised awareness of fear... I made this decision because I felt it was a healthy thing to do. Plus, I will be MUCH MORE protected than I already am! The way I see it is, the vaccine is a push to boost your blood in your immune system to fight with power! Right??!

So what vaccine shots did I get:
Hepatitis A- This is recommended for all travelers.
Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis)- recommended for all travelers eating foods outside of restaurants.

Typhoid-oral vaccine. I got 3 small capsules to swallow. I took one every other day. I took my last dose yesterday.

MALARIA- spread by feeding mosquitos at night! This is common in south America, Africa, Asia and South East Asia.
-No preventative vaccine measures against this. I am going to be using 98% deet bug repellent and long length clothing at night when I am in the wet jungle areas.

I got my shots done last Thursday, September 30th. The only side effects I had was a sore upper arm where the needles were inserted, and I was sleepy afterwards; which wasn't a bad thing.. I slept really well that night!!


So if you're someone questioning the idea of getting travel vaccines, I'd say just do it if you know you're going to be in areas where there are some diseases & virus' to look out for. Build up that protection. You will need it. Vaccines were made to protect us. Don't be afraid of them. We have all kinds of toxins, micro things and pollutants that enter our body every day!!! Travel vaccines are safe and will save you from getting sick.. you'll travel with much more confidence if you do.

my 2cents

ps.......

2010 so far I was processing pains and fatigue from mononucleosis and two injured knees!!!!!! 6 months of this year so far was all about healing for me. NOT FUN!!! So... if I have a choice of preventing myself from getting severely sick.. I am going to take it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment